And now for something completely different!
Frequently I have colleagues, friends or family asking me what they could do while they are visiting Ireland. So I decided to share my favourite spots in this article.
I have separated the activities/destinations you can do/visit within Dublin, around Dublin (often as day trips) and far outside Dublin (this may take at least one or more days). I hope you enjoy these spots as much as I did.
Note: I will keep updating this list when I come across something worth adding.
- Go find the deers in Phoenix Park, visit Ashtown castle, visit Dublin Zoo or just have a great time walking/cycling in the park.
- Do the Viking Splash Tour and see Dublin from a different perspective.
- Visit the Botanic Gardens, Guinness Storehouse and Kilmainham Jail.
- Go sightseeing with the hop on and hop off bus tour around Dublin city center.
- Take a Sea Safari tour around Dublin Bay.
- Climb Bray Head or do the cliff walk between Bray and Greystones.
- Visit Malahide castle and have a good time playing frisbee in the surrounding garden.
- Take photos of the seals swimming around in the harbour of Howth, go golfing at Deer Park golf course in Howth, visit the Howth cliffs or just do the Howth walk around the peninsula.
- Visit Newgrange and Hill of Tara (tour bus from Dublin), Trim castle (public transportation), go for a walk at Glendalough (bus from Dublin) or visit the Wicklow mountains national park (car recommended).
- Go diving at Dalkey island and possible see seals and dolphins swim by.
Far Outside Dublin
- See the Cliffs of Moher, walk through the unusual landscape of the Burren, visit the Poulnabrone Portal Dolmen, walk through different caverns in the Aillwee Cave, stay overnight in one of the many B&B’s in the nearby village Doolin or do the one-day bus tour (different operators).
- Bring yourself luck by kissing the Blarney Stone at Blarney castle, visit the Drombeg stone circle or just enjoy the scenic landscape in the south west coast (either by boat or follow the coastline by car).
- Travel the Ring of Kerry and Ring of Beara, visit the Skellig Islands (most boats leave from Portmagee Harbour), go diving on the Dingle peninsula or go dolphin watching / swimming with Fungie from Dingle Town harbour.
- Visit Galway for a good night out and visit the Aran Islands (by plane or boat).
- Go diving in Killary fjord or hike/drive your way around Connemara national park.
- Visit Kilkenny castle, Rock of Dunamase, Brownshill Dolmen and the lighthouse of Hook Head
- Enjoy the scenic landscapes of Donegal, walk around Horn Head and go diving in Sheephaven Bay near Horn Head.
- In Northern Ireland, visit he Exploris Aquariam in Portaferry (great for kids!), stroll around the beautiful Kearney village, hike the Mourne Mountains and of course visit the Giant’s Causeway.
Is your favourite destination missing? Share it in the comments below!